31 December 2021
Visit New Mills continues to support all local Community groups and facilitate events and projects in New Mills.
August saw the sad passing of one of Visit New Mills founding members Barry Bate – without him we wouldn’t be the group we are today.
2021 whilst being impacted in a large part by the pandemic has seen a more recent return to normality and the larger indoor and outdoor ‘pre-pandemic’ group activities that New Mills has become famous for – Torrs Youth Festival, Christmas Lights switch On and the return of the weekly Quizit in New Mills pubs. Even during the pandemic restrictions, we were able to continue running the Community cinema and a ‘virtual’ weekly Quizit that proved popular not only locally but much further afield with people joining from 8 different countries.
During the year we have continued to support and fund many Community and business initiatives (see next page)
The visitnewmills.co.uk web site and brand continues to grow and is now seen as the initial point of contact for visitors to our town and is included on the new maps and leaflets.
• Please refer to annual summary for full details
• Donations to community groups of £4359.43 have been made (based on 2021 calendar year)
• Grants and funding received from DCC, HPBC, Lottery fund and Co-op community fund.
• Weekly Quizit’s (moved to Virtual/online in March up to +100 attendee’s worldwide) Quizit – donations given to New Mills OAP hampers, Crossroads Derbyshire, Blythe House, Youth and Community Project, New Mills Cricket Club, New Mills Festival, St Georges Church, Parkinsons UK, New Mills Repair Café, Stockport Samaritans, New Mills Volunteer Centre, Arden House Medical Practice, Tiny Tickers, Torrs Youth Festival, New Mills Lights Switch On, British Legion, New Mills Litter Pickers, Derbyshire LGBTQ, New Mills Brass Band
• Collaboration with New Mills Festival for ‘pop up parks’ events
• LGBTQ+ events, flags and mugs
• Carnival windows celebrating inspirational women
• Tree planting in Mousley Bottom – 500 local species trees planted. • New Mills map, interpretation boards and leaflets – 3,000 additional copies have been printed and distributed.
• Town Centre Christmas tree and lights
• Community Cinema events at St George’s Parish Hall
• Our social media footprint continues to grow and evolve to highlight local businesses and community groups – additional cycling pages added
• Additional Christmas tree brackets at Juice Graphics, New Mills Football Club and Rolf West
• Collaborations with Youth Matters New Mills (Cinema, Table Tennis table and equipment)
• DBS checks for VNM team
New Mills Assets
Purchase of :
• New Community Gazebo
• LED lights, stands and additional festoon lights
• Cinema screen and licence
• LGBT flags and additional flag poles
• Financial support (donations) in purchasing Community assets and community events received from HPBC, DCC, Co-op Community fund, Lottery funding
• Ongoing Use of St Georges Parish Hall for the Community Cinema • To all our many volunteers who ensure our projects and initiatives we support are successful.
Accounts – 1 October 2020 to 30 September 2021