The building on Spring Bank has been established as a school or educational establishment for over a hundred years. It had two entrances one sternly labelled for ‘boys’ and the other ‘girls’
Education to a standard higher than elementary took place at a Mechanics Institute on Market Street, Moved up to part of the buildings now our Town Hall .
There was a ‘Grammar’ School in New Mills so the children who did not qualify for the Grammar School or whose parents could not afford to send them – were educated here at Springbank, certainly this was true in the 1950’s and 1960s before they introduced the ‘Comprehensive Education System.’ The building became the ‘Lower School’ for the new combined Comprehensive School and the Grammar School site became the senior school. It’s library area and surrounding classrooms are the original Grammar School buildings – it has lost the Cricket Field and Tennis Courts that enhanced it; they vanished under labs, halls and other buildings. The Lower School moved across to the main site and the Adults took over Spring Bank.
It has been an Adult Education Centre and it was until recently used for childrens services and the Mutli Agency team.